Excessive sodium consumption may contribute to raised blood pressure, so this easy recipe uses a few simple ingredients to produce a low sodium marinade that will transform a plain chicken breast into a delicious dish.
How To Make Easy Low Sodium Chicken Breast
Ingredients (serves 2)
• 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For the marinade:
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• ½ tablespoon white wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• ½ teaspoon parsley flakes
• ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180◦C.
2. Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of wax paper and use a meat mallet to pound the meat to an even thickness of between ½-¾ inch.
3. Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl and then rub all over the flattened chicken breasts.
4. Place a cast iron grill pan on a medium heat and then cook the chicken for 1 and a half minutes on each side.
5. Put the pan in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Pounding the meat prior to cooking and using a cast iron grill pan helps to produce tender chicken with a greater depth of flavour. It’s worth investing in a good quality cast iron grill pan as it’s an essential tool for making quick and easy meals. You can pick one up for just $20 from Target or Walmart; Loge is a popular and well-recommended brand.
If you would prefer not to make a marinade then you can use a pre-packaged seasoning blend, but check that it’s low in sodium. Follow the steps above, but combine approximately half a tablespoon of seasoning with a tablespoon of olive oil, instead of combining all the marinade ingredients. A brand that I love is The Spice House; their California Seasoned Pepper Blend is excellent.