Holiday times means cookie times! Like millions of other families, we cook our traditional recipe of gingerbread men, along with classic stars and sugar canes from the leftovers. Here is our classic, timeless recipe for some tasty, crunchy, full of flavors, brown little ginger men.
How to Cook Easy Christmas Cookies
4 cups white whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
11 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cup dark natural cane sugar (i.e. muscovado), or alternately use a dark brown sugar, packed
3 large eggs
2/3 cup organic sulfured molasses (blackstrap)
Large grain sugar (turbinado) for decoration
Popsicle sticks (optional)
1. Sift the flour and baking soda in a bowl along with the spices. Reserve.
2. Either by hand or with an electric mixer, cream the butter in a large bowl. It should be fluffy and light. Now make it creamy by adding the sugar and mixing well. Add the eggs, one by one, followed by the molasse. If you are using a mixer, set it to low and add the dry ingredients slowly. If you are mixing by hand, add the dry ingredients in two additions.
3. Split the result into two balls and wrap them in plastic and cool in the fridge for an hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F, the grill should be in the middle. Cover your baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. On a lightly floured counter top, roll the dough into a 1/8 thick sheet. Cut in your favorite shapes: gingerbread man, stars, sugarcanes. Let yourself go! Put the shapes on the parchment paper. Garnish the shapes with sprinkles or sugar, make them unique!
6. Bake according to size, usually takes about 7 to 10 minutes.