Macaroni cheese is one of the best comfort foods and by following this simple recipe you can easily make it yourself from just a few basic ingredients. The mustard helps to bring out the cheese flavour, but you can omit it if you don’t have any available.
How To Make Easy Baked Macaroni Cheese
Ingredients (serves 4)
• 250g macaroni
• 40g plain flour
• 40g butter
• 600ml milk
• 350g cheddar cheese
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• Ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180◦C.
2. Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8-10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Using the same saucepan that you cooked the macaroni in, melt the butter over a medium heat and then stir in the flour until a paste forms.
4. Gradually add the milk and stir continuously with a whisk until the sauce is thick, smooth, and free of lumps.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and add the mustard and 300g of the cheese, stirring until the cheese is melted.
6. Add the pasta to the sauce and stir until thoroughly combined, then transfer to a large ovenproof dish.
7. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese on top is melted.